Tuesday 14 October 2014

GW: Joining the group

Having been unwell and fallen behind, I have moved into the group- who I think will be fantastic to work with, as they are very creative people. I was also working towards a conceptual narrative within an alternative genre, and so figured I would share what I discovered.

First off was the general institutional context research, where I found similar details to the group.

In my moodboard I investigated videos with a social commentary of sorts, which is what this groups music video consists of, so it is relevant. I found that a third person mode of address was often used to give the audience an outside perspective, and that cutting rate speeds up when mood shifts or when the scene becomes less stable. In the group the distress is going to be shown with slower cutting rates, as it is the norm for the protagonist's life, which will allow the juxtaposition of the boy's change in behaviour when his imagination is unleashed and this is  in coherence with the genre.

The concept I investigated was that in the music video for Lullaby by the Cure, and was quite surreal utilising the singer's imagination of a nightmare. The use of CUs on the protagonist and the movement in shots demonstrate that it is not real, though the certainty in the face of the character suggests that it is. The protagonist is given more screen time and, therefore,  prevalence.

My first, second and third deconstructions of music videos all have elements of performance which is not going to be included. However, they also all discuss a level of hardship and social difficulty. The Biffy Clyro video makes use of the song to signify a change, though does it using lyrics, in place of the intensity and tempo. In all videos CUs are common in order to make a character relatable and to demonstrate their emotional state. The rebellious attitudes shown in P!nk's video will link to the behaviour of the older children within the concept, showing the brokenness that the familial situation has caused.

The most relevant piece of research is my technical analysis, as it also follows a male child. It is very good to show the contrast between the child and his  surroundings, making use of the juxtaposition of colour and of long and close up shots.

1 comment:

  1. Well done - this is a useful overview of your research so far.

    ReplyDelete